What is this project all about?
Documentary on indigenous education practice of the Pataxó people in Bahía, Brazil.
What is the project goal and who is the project for?
1) Seeking for new ways towards a free self-
development of human beings.
2) Documenting the impact of imparting indigenous knowledge on the maintenance of the Pataxó culture .
3) Examining chances and hurdles for individuals, resulting from indigenous education
4) Documenting the challenges Pataxó people are facing in the era of globalization and their use of 'new media'
5) Seeking alternatives to established education maxims of western communities.
Who is the project for?:
Pedagogues, Parents, Psychologists, Anthropologists, Philosophers and everybody interested in alternative education methods and/or indigenous culture
Why would you support this project?
1) The free development of his own potential is
the precondition of bliss for every human being. Only if this
requirement is fulfilled for all individuals, a healthy society can
be established. Pressure to achieve and strong identification with
marks can hinder this development and lead to inferiority complexes
of scholars. On the long run, this trend may lead to
competitiveness and a loss of creativity of the society. New
inspiration how to deal with these problems is becoming more and
In Arupãb, we aim for a non-judging documentation of the Pataxó education. The documentary is meant to encourage a critical reflection of our education practice without presenting a black-and-white-comparison between two cultures.
2) Despite secular attempts to crusade the Pataxó people and to assimilate them to the Brazilian society, the crucial part of the Pataxó’s cultural heritage, including their language, remains alive until the present day. The Arupãb documentary is recognition of the Pataxó culture and a medium to broadcast their values and their worldview.
How will we use the money if the project is successfully funded?
The money will be used for the following:
- Acquisition of professional camera equipment
- Covering living costs of the four team members during realization of the project
- Grant for the Pataxó-community in Coroa Vermelha (in exchange for provision of rooms and services)
- Flights from Europe to Brazil and back for the four team members
- Costs for Post-Production
After complementation of the project, the documentary will be presented in different Institutions and associations related to education and indigenous culture as well as in universities and schools.