Dear citizens and residents of Europe,
While the EU institutions are still discussing if and how to proceed with the “Conference on the Future of Europe” announced by Ursula von der Leyen in July 2019, our continuously expanding “Citizens Take Over Europe” coalition has decided to take the lead in initiating a Citizens’ Conference on the Future of Europe to be organised with the support of citizens and civil society from all across Europe. Today is our online kick-off, with a marathon of sessions, workshops, debates which programme your can find here.
Recognising that the European Union can only survive the many crises it is facing if it has the active support of its citizens, our initiative places citizens and residents of Europe centre stage in the debate on the future of Europe. Taking inspiration from innovative deliberative and participatory processes from around the world - such as in Iceland, Belgium and Ireland - our Citizens’ Conference on the Future of Europe aims to involve Europeans from all walks of life and parts of society in an open, transparent, inclusive and transnational participatory process.
With civil society organisations from across Europe acting as intermediaries and convenors, citizens will be brought together to exchange on the crucial challenges our European societies are facing, and to develop solutions through co-creation and deliberation. But it does not stop there: citizens’ proposals will be the starting point for advocacy actions and campaigns in order to shape the Europe we want. Furthermore, our initiative aspires to form the basis for a permanent transnational civic space for deliberation and citizen participation. Europe is our common home, it’s time for us, citizens, to take care of it!
- 9 May 2020 - Online kick-off conference of “Citizens Take Over Europe”, inviting citizens and civil society organizations from across Europe to join our coalition and co-develop a self-organized Citizens’ Conference on the Future of Europe
- 1 July 2020 - Online assembly to present and discuss a draft set of principles and a draft blueprint for a Citizens’ Conference on the Future of Europe
- September - December 2020 - Citizens’ Conference on the Future of Europe, phase 1: crowdsourcing of ideas, citizen activation and civic dialogue for the purpose of bottom-up, public agenda-setting for the Citizens’ Conference
- January - December 2021 - Citizens’ Conference on the Future of Europe, phase 2: local, national and transnational civic deliberation for the purpose of developing citizens’ proposals for the future of Europe
- January - May 2022 - Citizens’ Conference on the Future of Europe, phase 3: political dialogue and advocacy in relation to citizens’ proposals for the future of Europe
- May 2022 - May 2024 - development of a permanent transnational civic space for deliberation and citizen participation to be fully operational before the start of the 2024 European elections
Throughout the different phases of the Citizens’ Conference on the Future of Europe, citizens and civil society organisations from across Europe will be invited to organise their own events and activities as part of the same transnational process.
Chip in 5 Euros or more to help us kick-start that transnational process in the following months! Become a supporter for a genuine, self-organized Citizens’ Conference on the Future of Europe! We, citizens and residents of Europe, deserve to have our voice heard in the aftermath of the past crises.
The Citizens Take Over Europe alliance