What is this project all about?
Why Jane Austen?
2017 marks the bicentenary year of Jane Austen's early death on July 18, 1817. In order to commemorate her, we decided to revisit the works of the famous British author in order to understand the relevance of them to the contemporary literary field.
What do all members of the department gain from the events?
- Networking (peer, but also lecturer/student)
- Realising what makes Jane Austen immortal by looking at contemporary reactions to her work from diverse angles with both academic and non-academic/creative background
We are organising a series of academic and non-academic events
- May 3 - Lecture by Prof. Kathryn Sutherland from Oxford University on "Jane Austen's Manuscripts: What they tell us about how she wrote her novels"
- May 11 - Austen Carnival: A Jane Austen Game Night
- May 22 - Reading by Jo Baker, Author of the novel "Longbourn" – retelling the world of Pride and Prejudice from the servants’ perspective
- June 1 - The Jane Austen Murder Mystery Play – a non-scripted, improvised play with a murderous twist
- June 2 - Reading Club discussion on "Persuasion"
- June 15 - Lecture by Dr. Annika Bautz from Plymouth University: "Among Janeites: Jane Austen in the Late Nineteenth Century"
- June 22 & 23 - Student Conference: Jane Austen in a Global Context (with Keynote by Dr. Gabrielle Malcolm from Bath on "Jane Austen Fan Culture")
- June 28 – Performance of Austentatious - the famous British Improv Theatre Troupe
What is the project goal and who is the project for?
The goal of the project is to celebrate the works and literature of Jane Austen and understand the contemporary representations of her works. The project is by the students and for the students not just of the Department of English but also the students of other schools and departments in Göttingen and its surroundings. As an event that is open to the general public, the Austentatious performance will provide a unique opportunity to attend cutting-edge theatre in the English language.
Why would you support this project?
This project deserves support because…
- it offers students the opportunity to experience Austen in different media and understanding the impact of media on literature.
- it is a student initiative and it works to bring out student ideas for the benefit of their peers.
- it values both academic and non-academic activities as learning methods.
- it works to create a safe environment where students can put forward their ideas and realise them to unexpected proportions.
- the student conference will be a beneficial space where students can present and discuss their academic ideas with their peers as well as with experienced academics.
How will we use the money if the project is successfully funded?
We are mostly self-funded through fundraising events but running
a variety of events is expensive. With your generous support,
we’re aiming to raise additional money all of which will go
toward the costs for the student conference and the Austentatious
performance. For example:
- The "Student Conference: Jane Austen in a Global Context": costs for student assistants (200,-€), conference materials (100,-€), food and drinks for the reception and conference warming (22.06) and coffee breaks (150,-€).
- The improv-theatre performance by "Austentatious: the famous British Improv Troupe": travel costs from England and back (850,-€), hotel rooms for 6 people for two nights (600,-€), food and other preparations (150,-€), advertising material (150,-€).
- Reading Club/Murder Mystery Play/Game Night
- Poster Presentations by students at the conference - printing costs (100,-€)
- Advertising materials for all events (200,-€)
Who are the people behind the project?
We are 21 students that all have one thing in common: we are actively engaging ourselves in organising extra-curricular activities at the department; helping in realising the ‘Immortal Jane’ events gives us the opportunity to combine our skills and creativity under one theme. We are a very heterogeneous group, in study focus, level of studies or background and come from countries all around the world such as Germany, Russia, India, Ukraine, China, Thailand, Indonesia, Iran, Chile, Poland, USA, Italy, Spain, Syria, Ghana, Namibia, Bangladesh or Pakistan.
Please help us reach our goal by passing this on.
Many thanks for your support!
The performance by the British troupe Austentatious was a witty and comical ovation to the life of Austen. Every event - including the game night, Murder Mystery play and guest lectures - was well enjoyed and a unique expression of tribute to the Immortal Jane.
Work on our conference publication is officially underway!
Immortal Jane team.
We, the Immortal Jane organizing team are very happy to announce that our project has been successfully funded via Startnext. It gives us immense pleasure to thank all our contributors for helping us realising the events as we had hoped to. All the events organised were enjoyed by participants and organisers. The Student Conference, on 22nd and 23rd June, acted as an excellent platform for students to present their papers and interact with a vibrant audience and research cohort.
NEWS!!! Wir haben uns nun dazu entschlossen, die Konferenzbeiträge zu veröffentlichen!
Wir bemühen uns die Immortal Jane Veranstaltungen über Fundraising-Aktionen selbst zu finanzieren, dies ist aber aufgrund der Vielzahl der Events nicht durchführbar. Mit Ihrer großzügigen Spende ermöglichen Sie es uns, besonders die beiden teuersten Veranstaltungen zu finanzieren, die Studierendenkonferenz und die Theateraufführung der berühmten britischen Improvisationstruppe „Austentatious“.
Die Aufführung des Improvisationstheaters „Austentatious. The famous British improv troupe“: Reisekosten für die Schauspieler/-innen aus Großbritannien (850,-€), Unterkunft für die 6 Schauspieler/-innen (600,-€), Werbematerialien (150,-€).
Die Studierendenkonferenz: „Jane Austen in a Global Context“: Kosten für Hiwis (200,-€), Flyer und Konferenzmaterialien (100,-€), Speisen und Getränke für den Konferenzempfang und die Kaffeepausen (150,-€).
Posterpräsentationen während der Konferenz: Druckkosten (100,-€).
Kosten Veröffentlichung Konferenzbeiträge (150,-€)
Kosten für Werbematerial aller Veranstaltungen (200,-€).
The improv-theatre performance by “Austentatious: the famous British Improv Troupe”: travel costs from UK and back (850,-€), hotel rooms for 6 people for two nights (600,-€), advertising material (150,-€).
NEWS!!! We have decided to publish the conference papers!
The “Student Conference: Jane Austen in a Global Context”: costs for student assistants (200,-€), conference materials (100,-€), food and drinks for the reception and conference warming (22.06) and coffee breaks (150,-€).
Poster Presentations by students at the conference - printing costs (100,-€)
Costs for the publication of the conference papers (150,-€)
Advertising material for all events (200,-€)