The intiMate Initiative aims to expand access to comprehensive information on sexual health for young adults in Vietnam, regardless of gender and sexual orientation. It’s currently very difficult for young people to access reliable and judgement-free information about sex, contraception and sexually transmitted infections. Together with our partner, HIVNation in Hanoi, we set up events like film screenings and panels and offer a judgment-free range of services including subsidised, monthly STI tests. We create a safe space in which young Vietnamese adults can learn and discuss sex and sexuality. This is where you come in – we want to fund this with support from the crowd!
The crowd – making a difference together
As part of the crowd you can support people living in Vietnam in a number of ways: Our partnership with CraftLink to produce our bags supports traditional artisans, secures livelihoods and makes production processes more environmentally friendly by using natural dyes and fibres. And we can create a safe space in which young adults – like you and me – can learn and discuss about the most natural thing in the world – sex.
- Young adults in Vietnam are empowered to make informed decision about their sex life.
- Young adults in Vietnam actively use our online platform and our space at HIVNation to access information.
- Young adults’ knowledge in Vietnam about their own bodies, sexual health and sexuality is broadened.
- Young adults in Vietnam know what their sexual health status is and have access use as well as use services in the area of sexual health such as counseling, tests, prescriptions for contraceptives and condoms.
- We want to produce and consume in a socially responsible manner
- We want to support traditional handicrafts in Vietnam
- We want to encourage sustainable and responsible entrepreneurship – you don’t have to be a charity or NGO to make a difference!
- We want to live, breathe and promote the concept „social business“
Our target groups
- You! Someone who is interested in social business, likes to purchase sustainable products and aims to consume responsibly. Someone who loves great ideas and supports brands that have a story. Someone who likes to support other people in realising their dreams. Someone who believes in collective action – the Crowd!
- Teenagers and young adults – regardless of gender and sexual orientation – in Vietnam, who lack access to comprehensive, light-hearted and judgement-free information about sex and sexual health
Do you believe that businesses should have a positive impact on society? That it’s not all about making money, but also using it responsibly?
In the long term our money goes towards our social mission: At least 50% of our profits will be used to support educational projects in Vietnam and to promote social entrepreneurship.
Support us by pre-ordering our products and selecting filling material, too. Take a look at our rewards – whether you’re interested in sustainable menstrual hygiene products, fairtrade condoms or simply our business model – there’s something here for everyone!
In the next section we explain how we’ll use your
- We can continue our event series in our space HIVNation and in particular offer subsidised STI testing every month.
- Our partners in Vietnam will be given our teaching material and we will provide guidance on running workshops. If needed we can also support the workshops and provide financial support to purchase supplies, such as condoms for demonstrations.
- The majority of the money goes towards the production of our bags in Vietnam and supports our partner CraftLink.
We don’t need much money to get our project off the ground. 4,000 Euro are enough to get things started – to start production and to conduct our needs assessment. More money of course means we also have more opportunities to have an impact.
With 8,000 Euro we can
- Set up an online shop for all kinds of filling material for Your intiMates
- Expand our partnership with CraftLink in Vietnam to include more products
- Provide more support for educational projects in different regions throughout Vietnam.
Annika und Amy have been working on The intiMate Initiative since February 2015. Our passion for equality and feminism plays a central part, as well as our academic backgrounds in sustainability and sustainable entrepreneurship. Amy’s years of working and living in Vietnam has helped us develop a network of diverse stakeholders and engage with community-led and grassroots initiatives. We are also part of the Andersgründer-Programme in the Social Impact Lab Frankfurt (http://andersgruender.eu).
Amy has been living in Vietnam since 2012, working for a range of international development projects in the fields of sustainable development, education, gender, climate change and biodiversity conservation. After a casual conversation with a housemate about contraception among Vietnamese young women in late 2012, it became apparent to her that Vietnam's lack of reliable and judgment-free information about sex and sexual health had real implications for her Vietnamese peers' lives – the consensus among her friends was to take the morning after pill every time they had sex rather than taking the contraceptive pill on a daily basis.
Annika currently divides her time between Hanoi and Frankfurt, which makes for a rather impractical commute. Having spent close to 10 years in academia, she felt it was time for a change. Her work experience with the Austrian Business Council for Sustainable Development ignited her passion for combining business and making a lasting difference. Annika is deeply passionate about combating gender and heteronormative stereotypes, promoting tolerance and boosting the transformative power of education and access to information.
Alison, our sexual health education expert, has worked for one of Vietnam’s biggest public health NGOs and writes for our blog http://theintimateinitiative.com/blog/. Alison will be responsible for the development of our educational materials.